A brief history of Snoqualmie Valley, Mount Si and other surrounding areas:
In 1858, Jeremiah Borst settled in the Snoqualmie Valley. He owned land in what is now Snoqualmie, North Bend and he eventually platted Fall City. Legend calls him the “Father of the Snoqualmie Valley”.
The late 1800’s saw a boom in logging in the area. The first local mill, run by water power, was opened in 1872 by Watson Allen at the mouth of the Tokul Creek. At this same time the Hop Farmers Association was formed in the area and soon over 900+ acres of hops were being grown in the Meadowbrook area. The Snoqulamie Hop Farm was billed as the “largest Hop Ranch in the world”. Present-day Mount Si Golf Course was part of that original 900+ acres. Hop farming remained in the area for 10+ years until its decline in the late 1890’s.
Josiah Merrit (“Uncle Si”) lived in a cabin at the base of Mount Si in 1862. Today, what was once called Uncle Si’s Mountain, is now called Mount Si.
In 1923, A.W. Pratt platted the Meadowbrook addition to Snoqualmie which contributed to growth in the area. The Snoqualmie Falls Lumber Co. (which eventually became Weyerhauser) continued to thrive in the area.
After the decline of hop farming, the original 9-hole layout of present-day Mount Si Golf Course was opened to 18 holes in the late 1930’s. Snoqualmie’s population in 1960 grew to about 1200 and rose slowly to about 1600 over the next 30 years, until growth skyrocketed with the addition of homes in what is called Snoqualmie Ridge. In 1958, 1985 and 1994 the course underwent changes and has evolved into a premier public golf course. Mount Si Golf Course Restaurant saw significant changes to its outside look in 2005 and continues to serve excellent food along with a smile.
The mountain itself stands at just over 4100 feet and dominates much of the landscape in the Snoqualmie Valley. About 10,000 hikers per year attempt the climb to the top, less than half actually make it. The final few feet to the top require sure-footing and determination. This final ascent is called the “Haystack”. The views from the Haystack include the Valley, I-90, the Olympic Mountains and Seattle. The mountain was made famous in the show “Twin Peaks” which aired in the early 80’s and was filmed in North Bend.
Today Mount Si Golf Course and Restaurant is owned and operated by the Barter family.